Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Rocketeer Fixation






I've been unable to break free of the suck.
Weeks now.
I keep telling myself it has to end soon.



An interesting article on the poor taking over an abandoned  
 40 story apartment building construction fail in Venezuela.
They have built their own community, complete with shops, services and
small apartments amid the rubble of incomplete construction.
Some walking up 20 floors to their makeshift apartments.
My first thought while reading was that we are now
living in William Gibson's brain.
This is world he warned us was coming.
Gibson has a new fiction book out in May-The Peripheral--
 I have The Peripheral pre-ordered and am desperately looking forward
to reading it.
It is the first book in a long long time i have been anxious to get.



My current aircraft project:
1:72 Airfix Grumman j2f-6 float plane.


A very diesel punk, bi-wing design--first produced in 1936 as
a naval/coast guard, search and rescue--cargo--exploration aircraft. 
One of it's most interesting features is a
two level cockpit with a passenger compartment
in the lower hull.


The Grumman j2f-6 was in use up until the early 1950's.
It was a strong, versatile, useful, peaceful aircraft. 
This model in 1:72 scale makes up into a very small model
which i am planning on displaying on a runway base of metal plating.
I am currently in the process of painting the model in the pre-war flat-white, color scheme
as displayed by the photo above.




The Rocketeer is my all time favorite Movie.
This is the film i would take to a desert island.


The Rocketeer has everything i require to fulfill the bizarre visual life in my head.
Nazi's--airships, retro-nouveau styling displayed
in/on everything from the architecture to guns to clothes to cars to aircraft to 
last but not least the sign painting.
In the depths of final stages of rebuilding my nerd cave
I ordered an original  Rocketeer  poster from the graphic novels,
as shown below to hang on the wall.


There just are not enough idiots, such as myself,
to make the Rocketeer film a recognized classic.
Maybe it is better that way.



"The Empires of the future,
are the Empires of the mind."
Winston Churchill


No comments:

Post a Comment